Sunday, January 9, 2011

Welcome

Recently I stumbled across a fantastic piece of software called Titanium developed by Appcelerator.  With mobile apps all the rage right now I had taken it upon myself to try and get some apps to market.

As computer programming is mainly a hobby I've had little formal training in computer science. But I have been developing webpages in HTML/Javascript since I first logged onto the web using Compuserve back in the late 90s.  When I dove into iPhone App development and starting learning Objective-C I almost tore all my hair out.  For those of you who know the language my hats off to you - it's tough.  It's also tough as a hobby since I don't sit down and work every day in the language. When you haven't looked at xcode in 3 months and try and get back into the programming mode it's really difficult.

Titanium, at least so far, looks like a fantastic solution to this problem.  Rather than learning objective-C (for iOS) or Java (for android) you leverage your html/javascript programming talents.  Add in a few Titanium specific lines of code (which so far are very intuitive and feel like javascript) and you're set.

I was able to take an App I wrote for the iPhone in objective-C, and within 1 day, rewrite it in html/javascript/titanium, compile it to an Android app, and publish it on the Android Market!  Pretty incredible.

This blog will serve as my repository for what I'm learning in Titanium and as a way to hopefully share what I've learned. Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment